Sometimes some vehicles come with built-in airbag suspensions that you need to replace once worn out. Others whose trucks do not have them can make upgrades by installing a set of air spring compressions. Although it is not mandatory, it helps immensely with towing and heavy hauls while enhancing safety and comfort.
If you are about to go shopping for one, this article with the reviews of the 5 best airbag suspensions for towing is what you need for a headstart. You will also find a related buying guide that will help you select the right product like a pro. So help yourself!
Top 5 Best Airbag Suspensions For Towing
1. Touring Tech Towing Assist Airbag Suspension Kit
The airbag suspension kit from Touring Tech comprises all the things to give your 2007+ Chevy GM 1500 a level-up. You will especially like this bundle if you often haul heavy loads.
Features And Benefits
- Level Capacity: The air springs have a leveling capacity of 5000 lbs at the highest. So you can use them for all light- and mid-level applications. It functions by backing up the suspension with additional support to shut out sagging and enhance balance during towing.
- A Stainless Compressor: The key component of the package is a stainless C100 compressor with a duty cycle of 15% per 100 square inches. That means it will stay active for 9 minutes with a 51-minute downtime per hour. And as for the PSI, it will deliver 100 pounds of pressure that can rise to 130.
- Accessories In The Kit: Touring Tech made it easy by putting everything a user will need in the package. Apart from a pair of 2500lb air springs, there will be a corrosion-proof push for fitting connection, release valves, ¼-inch DOT-standard airlines, and other essentials. Compared to the price, it is well worth your money.
- Beginner-Friendly Installation: You can assemble the kit within less than an hour without any experience. That is how convenient its design is. It will not even require drilling or changes to run. You put the things where they go, and the airbags are ready.
- A-One Customer Service: The behavior of the customer service team is professional and helpful. You will find the representatives available and at your service for any issues with the product. That is a rare quality of the brand.
- Usable for a wide range of activities
- Reasonable price
- Suitable for beginners
- Inclusion of all components
- Perfect for bearing heavy loads
- Better stability
- The airline might not be adequately long for all vehicles, so you will have to buy another separately.
2. Vigor Rear Right Air Suspension Spring Bag
The specialty of Vigor is that it develops its air supply goods using its own technology. Therefore, you get everything original from the manufacturing company, as it delivers its products worldwide. It manufactures its airbags to be compatible with a bunch of car models and increase their efficiency.
Features And Benefits
- High-Quality Materials: The company imports high-density rubber to make the airbag. So, it has more durability and higher load-bearing capability than a traditional air suspension. You will see that reflected in its performance.
- Better Drivability: You will feel more at ease while driving and braking after replacing your old airbag with this one. It absorbs distracting vibrations, lowers the chance of injuries, and secures passengers from the impact of a physical collision. When you set it up and let it do your job, it will make sure you get to do your job more comfortably and safely.
- Long-Lasting Performance: Vigor has been in the industry for over 2 decades, working hard on its products with extensive experiment and distribution procedures. It uses heavy-duty components to offer a reliable service for a long time, finding and tailor-making you an airbag replacement that matches your vehicle type. That brings up its compatibility.
- Highly Compatible: You can get the rear right air suspension for your 2015-2018 Benz CLS400, 2012-20134 Marcedes Benz CLS350, 2012-2018 Benz CLS500, etc. I only named a few, but there are a lot more. You can visit the link after the review to find the rest. It is way more compatible than many airbags on the current market.
- Warranty And Guarantee: Vigor confidently guarantees that the positive changes made by the airbag will satisfy you. But if it cannot, you can uninstall it and give it back to get a refund of all your money following the first 3 months of your purchase. Besides, if you continue to use it, remember that it has a 2-year warranty for any issues.
- Durable materials
- More powerful for bearing loads
- Providing safety and comfort for passengers and drivers
- Compatible with a lot of vehicles
- 100% assurance of quality
- Accommodating post-sale policies
- Some may find it too smelly due to the rubber.
3. Hromee Air Spring Compression
Easy connection, satisfying quality, and a budget-friendly price make the Hromee Spring Compression the best airbag suspension. But there are other reasons, too. The following review will break them all down for further insights.
Features And Benefits
- Sturdy Airline Tube: The compression has a red nylon airline tube that is lightweight and flexible yet resilient enough. Its max pressure is 200 PSI with a bursting pressure of 800 PSI. It is 20 feet long, so there is more than enough tubing for the job. Even if you extend your truck’s flatbed, you can easily work the tube, and there will still be an extra part left for use.
- Durable Inflation Valves: A pair of Schrader valves are there to deflate or inflate the airbag manually, which they excel. Their material is high-rated brass to ensure a lasting performance with maximum strength.
- Additional Items: Along with the inflation valves, the air spring compression has a unison tee and elbow fittings to help you assemble the product correctly. All the fittings are brass-made with corrosion resistance and longevity.
- Easy-To-Make Connections: The additional parts have a Push-To-Connect (PTC) design. So you can install the hose by inserting the airline tubing into the shaft. Continue to do that until the system locks. There is a release button to press to undo the hose.
Then there is the unison tee to facilitate the installation process. You can use it to tie the air springs to arrange a single-path setup.
- Strong materials
- A lengthy airline tube
- PTC setting for smooth connections
- Budget-friendly and beginner-friendly
- Capable of coping with high-pressure ranges
- The tube is vulnerable to leakage.
4. Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit
Air Lift is a distinctly well-reputed manufacturer of airbags because the old brand has been in the business for a long time and got a name for providing reliable auto parts. Its customer-favorite air suspension kit will tell you more about that.
Features And Benefits
- Load-Leveling Capacity: The airbags primarily work with your coil springs and increase your comfort and safety while towing. You can expect them to take up a maximum load of 1000 lbs.
- Improved Control: Designed to absorb bumps, the progressive air spring rate evenly distributes weight to all your tires and keeps them on the ground. As a result, braking, handling, and steering become better, giving you higher control. Besides, tires take more time to wear out, and they wear out at the same time.
- Increased Stability: There will be a notable reduction in the body rolls for your vehicle. The air springs raise the spring rate and magnify your truck’s balance. When you get fewer rolls, you enjoy more security during your rides.
- Perfect Alignment: When you tow a trailer, the airbag suspensions will adjust your truck’s height precisely to allow for the exact alignment. That will keep out any trailer sway, making the job less hectic.
- Warranty: Lastly, by getting a premium product from the company, you get the build quality, superior functions, other facilities, AND a limited lifetime warranty coupled with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- No trailer sways during towing
- Tremendous changes in overall vehicle performance
- Equal weight distribution to tires
- Extended tire life
- The installation may be tricky for some, taking more than 2 hours.
- Low load-leveling capacity
How to install Air Lift Suspension Kit
5. JDMON Replacement For Rear Air Spring Compression Kit
Here is the final review of the day. It is a peak choice for vehicles often passing wobbly roads. When you get these airbags into your car, it is goodbye to abnormal and annoying noise during rides, tire wear, and car body collapse for good.
Features And Benefits
- Top-Tier Materials: JDMON air spring compression, made of rubber, alloy, and iron associated with up-to-date sol technology, delivers unparalleled performance during towing. It has an extended service life, aided by a powerful resistance to corrosion and acid.
- Shock Absorption: Replacing your worn-out airbag with this one will put your truck back in its best form by revamping its functions and improving your driving experience even during severe weather conditions. The first thing you will notice is the diminished vibration frequency and noise. Moreover, the soaking of bumps will extend your truck’s lifespan by protecting its parts from potential damage caused by heavy load-bearing vehicles.
- Original Kit Quality: If you want to replace your car’s air spring set with this one, do it without hesitation. It will deliver you the same quality performance. However, the installation will not be that easy. Since there is no manual, you should have a professional install the gear. If done incorrectly, it cannot perform at its full potential. Also, note that it will not require any alterations.
- No leaks, acid- and corrosion-resistant
- Reduced sound and lower friction
- Suitable for any weather
- Capable of acting as your original airbag set
- Highly compatible with many vehicle models
- Difficulty in installation
How To Buy The Best Airbag Suspension For Towing
The following buying guide shows you what your airbag suspension must offer you at the minimum.
Airbags are full of air inside to resist your car’s weight. That offers you the advantage of adjusting them when necessary, changing the amount of pressure inside your airbags. But you need them to withstand high pressure to get better customizability.
So, you will straightly look at the PSI of your preferred airbags. If it supports 70 PSI, seek alternatives. A 100 PSI will be more functional than that.
Whichever you get between an airbag suspension kit or a regular airbag suspension, you can only use it if it can handle your vehicle’s weight.
When one can take up to 2000 lbs, another is good with as much as 5000 lbs. The higher the capacity, the heavier car it can handle. So, you must check that an airbag suspension has adequate load-bearing capability suitable for your car model.
You should go for a user-friendly or beginner-friendly airbag suspension if you have never had one. That way, you can use it without facing any challenges post-purchase.
A high-quality airbag suspension will ensure that you do not have to repair it repeatedly. Therefore, it will bode well for you to check if an airbag suspension comes with a warranty. Most have a year or two, but some even have a limited lifetime warranty with 100% quality assurance.
The functionality of an airbag suspension depends heavily on its accurate setup. So, a beginner getting their hands on a complex airbag suspension may fail to install it right and get the most out of it.
When buying an airbag suspension, see what the manufacturer says about its details. If it requires modification, professional expertise, or too much time, move on to an easy-going one.
Benefits Of Air Bag Suspensions For Towing
- Airbag suspensions eliminate sway, providing better handling, braking, and steering.
- The ride quality gets better with them. Vehicles with airbags handle rough terrain easily.
- They can instantly stabilize a vehicle’s load during towing.
- They prevent your car from bottoming out or dragging alarmingly low while driving.
- There is less deterioration of the air suspension and other car components for lowered vibration and roughness.
- Airbag suspensions make it easier to load by enabling you to adjust the car’s height based on the load by using the raise or kneel settings.
- All in all, the towing performance improves, and you enjoy more comfort, safety, and security during your rides.
Why do you need Air Bag for Towing?
How To Install An Airbag Suspension (2 Parts)?
Part 1: Removal Of Old Components
Step 1: Preparing The Vehicle
Put on your eye protection, take the jack to hoist your car, and keep it on the jack stand to detach the tires.
Step 2: Removal Of The Front Struts And Coil Spring
Figure out if the airbag suspension is for the rear only or both the rear and front.
If you work on the front, take out the front struts per the kit manual. As for the rear, you should remove the coil springs.
Step 3: Preparing For The Airbag Suspension Setup
If your kit has a compressor, it should go to the extra tire well. In that case, take out the spare tire with other interior panels to make space for your compressor.
Part 2: Installing The Airbag Suspension
Step 1: Setting Up The Rear Air Spring And The Front Air Struts
Place the rear coil or air spring where the old one used to be. It will back up the vehicle’s weight after the installation.
The same applies to the front air struts. They will take care of the vehicle’s front weight.
Note: Many fitments and styles are available for the struts based on models, suspension types, and making.
Step 2: Setting Up The Air Tank And The Air Compression
Put both of them in your car’s spare tire well. Each kit has specific directions on its placement.
Note: The task of the compressor is to fill the tank with sufficient compressed air to allow for the rising and lowering of the suspension. It holds different amounts of air, ranging from 3 to 5 gallons, depending on your car’s weight and size.
Step 3: Wiring The Compressor For Power And Air
The compressor requires power to function. Usually, the wiring courses from a relay and a fuse to the battery power.
Each vehicle corner needs a separate airline connected to the air compressor. You must tuck the airlines under your car to keep them from bending and breaking during rides. They stay linked with the compressor to let the suspension be handled.
Step 4: A Last Check
Check the installation to see if each component is tightly put in its own place.
You have to cycle the system and check for proper functioning. Setup and testing differ slightly from one kit to another. So you must stick to the specific instructions of your product’s manufacturer.
Run the airbag suspension for confirmation that your car gets the exact ride height. That may need some adjustments. Finally, check it for any leakage before driving.
Note: Airbag suspensions demand extra repairs and maintenance as needed. Altering it even slightly can impact your car’s driving properties while revoking your right to any warranty.
If most of your activities are lightweight, and you can get past the installation, I recommend the Air Lift 1000 Air Suspension Kit. The brand has a positive image for its products. And the kit will particularly elevate your car’s condition in no time.
However, my opinion changes based on the applications. Touring Tech supplies the best airbag suspension for towing, applicable for light- and mid-range projects. It has a level capacity of 5000 lbs, a beginner-friendly setup, and an amazing sales team to help you during and after your purchase.
Additionally, users preferring more compatibility, security, and quality construction will want to take a look at the Vigor airbag suspension. While I did say the smell may be bothersome, it is the smallest trade-off for what you will get in return. It will not even be an issue once you get used to it.
Leave a Reply