A well-performing lock is more important for a gooseneck trailer or tow vehicle than one would anticipate. Although it may not appear as an integral component, the security of your load and trailer depends a lot on it (and a good night’s sleep for the user, too!).
So, which lock should you get – one you can rely on to save your valuable items from thieves? I will give you 5 choices – the best gooseneck trailer locks – all worth your attention, time, and money. Each has the potential to be your final choice.
You just need to read their reviews, look at their strengths and weaknesses, and make your decision. Here you go!
Top 5 Best Gooseneck Trailer Locks Review
1. Knox Gooseneck Round Tube Lock
The Gooseneck Round Tube Lock from Fort Knox should be on the list of any user looking for a premium gooseneck trailer lock that will deliver uninterrupted service for a while. It has been a means of relief and reliability for storage containers on construction sites for decades. If you have your eye on it, maybe you should lock this one before going further!
Features and Benefits:
- Well-Constructed: The construction of the lock is excellently done. That is the first thing that caught my eye and the first thing to keep thieves away from your trailer. A heavy yellow powder coating coupled with the combination of the master lock style hasp and puck lock made it exceptionally long-lasting. If you think of storing expensive things, you can get the Ft. Knox Lock without hesitating.
- Different Key Design: You will receive 2 puck locks with the Ft. Knox lock set, both upgraded with a Cobra seven-locking cylinder. It has a tubular shape, different from a traditional keyed style. It is supposed to be one of the most secure lock styles, especially when it comes to picking resistance. Plus, you can also upgrade it to the Medeco lock to ensure further security.
- A Combo Set: The lock has a set bolt lock. It should be your best bet against theft. The lock/hasp setup is enough to battle against petty thieves and robbers. The only thing that holds a slight chance of beating the dynamic duo is a cutting torch or a power tool.
- Warranty: Although you do not get any warranty on the powder-coat finish, you can use the limited lifetime warranty for any manufacturing flaws.
- Highly well-built and durable
- Unique key style
- A powerful combo set
- Powder-coat finish
- Suitable for use on construction sites
- Limited lifetime warranty
2. Blaylock TL55 Gooseneck Coupler Lock
The one you are looking at is the Baylock EZ Lock Gooseneck Coupler. Just as the name says, it is a very easy-to-use item, suitable for beginners and experienced users.
Features and Benefits:
- Standard Materials: Baylock manufactured the product with aircraft aluminum to make it lightweight yet robust and resilient. At the same time, the materials will protect the lock from wear, rust, and corrosion. The product and everything used in its making are entirely USA-based.
- High Compatibility: The coupler lock deters theft of your gooseneck trailer with its ram coupler. That makes it highly compatible with RVs, heavy-duty trailers, and livestock haulers. You can use it with 2 and 5/16-inch ram gooseneck style couplers.
- Quality Components: It has a strong bracket that fits around the coupler’s base while featuring a solid and hard pin or lock rod to slide through the bracket. You will need that to secure your lock to the coupler.
- Overall Performance: The product is easy to set up for everyone. It is rustproof and durable enough to thwart trailer thieves. It can secure your load during poor weather conditions with its simple build. However, it does not come with a padlock. You have to purchase it separately.
- Quality materials and components
- Lightweight, simple, and convenient
- Compatible with various vehicles
- Designed to fight off wear, corrosion, and rust
- Strong security
- Some customers complained that they did not get the locking pin, although the product description said it would.
3. Master Lock Gooseneck Trailer Lock
Imagine buying security and peace of mind that will not cost you an arm and a leg, and you get Master Lock to grant your wish. The brand has the best Gooseneck Trailer Lock within a decent budget.
Features and Benefits:
- High Compatibility: Anyone having a trailer is concerned about the safety of it and its content. Getting the universal size Master Lock Gooseneck Trailer Lock will rid them of the tension of losing their goods. The lock is hugely compatible and fitting for any 2-5/16”, 2”, and 1-⅞” trailer couplers. If you have more than one trailer and do not want to purchase a lock for each, you can save money by picking this one.
- Advanced Mechanism: Master Lock designed the lock with a catchy red finish and a well-developed locking system to discourage thieves and stave off prying and picking. Moreover, it will also keep corrosion and rust at bay. When you leave your trailer unattended, you can secure its coupler with the lock. It will fend off burglars from unlocking and stealing your trailer.
- Easy Setup: Setting up the Master Lock Gooseneck Trailer Lock is a piece of cake. First, you measure the coupler’s size. You should put the pin in the coupler’s hole after sliding the master lock onto that. Then, you finish the setup by clamping the cover over that pin.
- Others: The product weight is only a pound. So that will not burden you. And the price is within anyone’s budget. It is a surprise that the company charges so moderately while offering profuse features and benefits. Furthermore, if you want to buy more than one lock from Master Lock, you can get their 3-pack and 4-pack deals at a winning price range.
- Compatible with a wide variety of trailers
- Strong protection for unattended trailers
- An advanced design to repel burglars and robbers
- Swift installation, beginner-friendly, and affordable
- Not long-lasting
Installation of Master Lock Gooseneck Trailer Lock
4. Blaylock TL50 Coupler Lock
Baylock is here again to present another of its Gooseneck Trailer Locks, specially made for people who frequently have to switch their tow vehicles and trailers.
Features and Benefits:
- Improved Materials: The lock is also made of lightweight aircraft-grade aluminum like the other Blaylock one. It has a hefty construction with high resistance to rust and corrosion.
- Ultimate Protection: I recommend you combine the TL50 lock with an easy set screw lock for extra protection. Reinforced with the set screw lock, it will magnify the security and safety of your trailer considerably.
- Peace Of Mind: After you secure the lock, it will render your trailer’s Stallion, TEM. Superior, or Bulldog gooseneck trailer non-active, giving you the peace of mind you need during your rides.
- High Compatibility: Note in the previous feature that the lock complies with a number of couplers, which is essential for users with more than a single coupler. Besides, anyone with an RV will also find it highly useful.
- Convenience: It only weighs 8 ounces, making it easy to set up and remove. Anybody can use it and should get it if they have to change their trailers regularly.
- Durable materials for long-term use
- Compatible with both trailers and RVs
- Easily installable and removable
- Upgradable for additional protection
- Poor finish
5. Gen-Y Manual Latch Gooseneck Coupler Lock
Gen-Y is known for overdoing it with its products in a very positive and effective way. The support the manual latch coupler lock will provide you has every chance of keeping you from ever switching brands.
Features and Benefits:
- Design: what I liked the most about the lock is how it works. It will go with most auto-latch couplers. Since they come pricier than the standard ones, it is natural that you want to keep them protected. The latch lock, designed effectively to do just that, will be the best match for your coupler.
- High-Quality Materials: The quality of the lock materials backs it up to do what it does efficiently. Gen-Y used heavy-duty steel and powder-coated zinc to manufacture the latch lock. If you do not know it already, Gen-Y is well-reputed for its incredibly good product finishes. That means you can bid goodbye to any issues like corrosion and rust.
- High Protection: While it is singlehandedly capable of protecting your trailer, it will be best to couple the item with a locking pin or a set bolt. That is when you will get unparalleled security.
- A Dust Cap: You will see a dust cap on the lock. It is there to prevent internal mechanisms. It comes tethered, so that makes it even more facilitative.
- Quality materials with a great powder-coated finish
- Prevention of rust, corrosion, and internal mechanisms
- Upgradable for higher security
- Compatible with auto-latch couplers
- Highly expensive
Gen-Y Manual Latch Gooseneck Coupler Lock Review
How To Buy The Best Gooseneck Trailer Lock?
Below are a bunch of factors you need to evaluate while selecting a gooseneck trailer lock.
The materials of the lock have to have high quality. A flimsy one will break down quickly. And that is equal to having no locks. When visiting online or offline shops, go to the manufacturer’s website or ask the salesperson about the lock’s making to verify its capability to support your trailer.
Choose a lock with a positive reputation. See online ratings and reviews and talk to your friends and families who use a gooseneck lock. Gather their opinions, weigh the pros and cons, and pick the best one.
It is better to look for a lock specifically designed for a gooseneck trailer. It will offer you more protection than the general-purpose ones because their making gives them an edge to cope with the extra pressure of trailers.
Some locks are compatible with auto-latch couplers, while others work with conventional couplers. You must check whether your chosen item suits your coupler. Otherwise, the wrong one, despite its high-performance capability, will fail to serve its purpose.
The more features a lock has, the more benefits it will give you. For example, you would like a corrosion- and rust-resistant lock better than one without that characteristic. Some come with an advanced mechanism to resist prying and picking. It is wise to select one with these features to ensure quality and lasting service, meaning strict security for your valuables.
So, if you want a multifaceted gooseneck trailer lock, you will need to look properly to find one.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Gooseneck Trailer Lock?
- It will add an extra layer of protection for your loads. If there are valuables or heavy items, it will keep them locked and give you assurance about their safety.
- The other benefit is the prevention of theft. Using a lock will give local thieves and robbers a hard time stealing your trailer and its contents. Even if they get their way around it, the broken lock would be evidence that you can take to the police. Apart from the risk of theft, a gooseneck trailer lock will protect your stuff in adverse weather situations.
- Lastly, it will give you mental peace during driving. You will know that your things in the trailer will stay put no matter what, so you will not have to stop here and there or drive slowly to check if they are staying put.
FAQs About Gooseneck Trailer Locks
What purpose does a gooseneck trailer serve?
It serves the purpose of transporting heavy materials or equipment. The term ‘gooseneck’ derives from the trailer’s appearance, as it looks similar to a goose’s curved neck due to its hitching to a truck.
What does a gooseneck trailer lock do?
It is a locking tool to attach a gooseneck trailer to your tow vehicle. You insert it into your gooseneck coupler and lock it using a key. It prevents the trailer from getting separated from your transport during transit.
What are some must-have features for a quality gooseneck trailer lock?
It should have a durable and sturdy build, a powerful keyed deadbolt, and a weather-resistant polish.
How to Lock up your Gooseneck Trailer?
If your budget permits you, or you need a lock to use on construction sites or areas with frequent theft cases, I suggest you choose one between Fort Knox and Gen-Y. They have the best gooseneck trailer locks with outstanding finishes and solid components.
To tone it down a bit on the pricey side while keeping standard quality, you have the Masterlock gooseneck trailer lock. From a user-friendly setup and better compatibility to an affordable price and advanced mechanisms, it makes a reliable and trustworthy investment. I would highly recommend this one, too.