The engine of the Grand Cherokee requires motor oil to function properly throughout its lifespan. It is a must for your vehicle engine to perform at its highest capability. So, as a user, your responsibility is to ensure that by choosing the most suitable oil.
The fluid has a crucial role to play in this regard. Choosing a lesser suitable one can cause the engine performance to plummet or, worse, face damage. If you own a Jeep Grand Cherokee but do not know which oil would be apt for it, I can help you.
Note that the engine oil depends on the engine type and year model of your Grand Cherokee, typically provided by the manufacturer. So, there are different oils for different models.
I will review the 5 best oils for Jeep Grand Cherokee and mention their respective models. When you find one that matches your Cherokee model, know that you have found what you came here for.
Top 5 Best Oils For Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
1. Mopar Genuine Mineral Engine Oil (5W-20)
According to the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee manufacturer, Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil provides the best output. See more about it below.
Features and Benefits:
- Engine Protection: The advanced and fully synthetic oil will take care of your engine for 10k miles by controlling oil breakdown. That means it will stay functional and give you no reason for concern for a long time. Simultaneously, the oil will keep the motor running with fresh energy and extend its service life by driving away the factors that can deteriorate its performance over time.
- Prevention Of Deposits And Sludge: The brand made a proprietary medley of cleaning agents to manufacture the oil. So, when you find engine sludge and deposits, you are an oil change away from flushing them all.
- Protection For Engine Heat: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee owners prefer the oil for its excellent ability to protect internal engine heat from -30 degrees Fahrenheit to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Not every synthetic oil can do such a wide range.
- Improved Fuel Economy: Meeting all standards of ILSAC GF-6, the oil provides low-speed pre-ignition also known as LSPI and secures your engine from timing chain wear. Besides, it does engine maintenance. All of that results in better fuel economy.
- Others: the oil weighs SAE 5W-20. It refers to a rating of 5 of SAE viscosity in cold weather and a 20 rating in a regular functioning environment. Remember to check the manual of your car’s manufacturer to verify the correct oil amount.
- Engine protection for a year or 10k miles
- Prevention of damaging factors, sludge, and deposits
- Maintenance of engine
- Better fuel economy
- Controlling oil breakdowns
- Extending the engine’s lifespan
- A 1-year warranty
- Although rare, some customers complained about facing issues with their order placement.
2. Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Reputed for going beyond industry-grade quality and standards, Castrol delivers its high-mileage synthetic motor oil specifically to serve the 2011 Grand Jeep Cherokee owners.
Features and Benefits:
- Maximized Engine Performance: The motor oil is specifically apt for the 2011 Jeep Cherokee because it has a high mileage engine. It can support your vehicle for more than 75k miles. You will get the most out of your engine in both short and long terms due to the 5W-30 advanced fluid.
- Titanium Technology: Castor upgraded the oil with extra fluid titanium technology to make it strong enough to back up a high-mileage engine. Also, it contributes to increased oil film strength while reducing film breakdowns.
- Reduced Leaks: Reinforcing your car with the Castrol high-mileage oil will bring multiple positive changes. For example, you will find fewer leaks. The oil will not burn off much. Instead, it will prevent deposits that rob the engine of power. Your emission system will also get better, protected by the oil to lower the phosphorus level.
- Others: Customers who bought the product liked it for its perfect fitting. And why would they not? It is the key to your engine’s performance. Besides, it comes at a much lower price than its rivals that cost higher but do not promise a satisfactory return.
- Use of titanium technology to magnify the oil strength
- Designed to support high-mileage engines
- Optimized engine performance
- Fewer leaks, lesser burned-off oil, and a better emission system
- Reduction of film breakdowns
- More affordable and better performer than many high-end products
- Abnormal noise caused by abrupt oil degradation
3. Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage Oil (5W-30)
This high-mileage oil is for your 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a competitive price but some features unmatched by its counterparts.
Features and Benefits:
- Higher Wear Protection: When you get the best oil for your Jeep Grand Cherokee, it is bound to elevate your engine’s life. The Valvoline oil will also do that to your 2016 engine but with more effectiveness. Its enhanced max life technology can lower the breakdown during the most severe conditions by more vital wear protection, 50% higher than the industry standards.
- Sealed Conditioners: When scattered in the wrong place, oil can create unexpected problems. That often happens because of leaks. Valvoline prevents that from ever taking place with its premium-quality sealed conditioners. Rest assured. You will not find oil dripping here and there, giving you a situation to handle.
- Additional Protection: Valvoline went the extra in this area as well. It combined its oil with interior-cleansing detergents to provide 25% higher security against rust, corrosion, sludge, and deposits.
- Rich Viscosity: We all know that heat is one of the critical factors to cause engine breakdown. Your oil should have better viscosity to lighten the intensity of its impact. You will get precisely that from the Valvoline product, safeguarding from alarming temperatures. Users expressed their satisfaction with the oil’s ability to give their engines an advanced level of protection.
- Others: Some customers made an important point that their engines ran without a peep when running on the oil. That sound bugs me too. So there goes another reason for you to consider the oil.
- High-quality oil
- 50% better wear protection
- 25% higher resistance to corrosion, rust, etc.
- Noiseless engine performance
- Compliant with all industry standards
- Poor packaging
4. Liqui Moly 5W-40 High-Tech Engine Oil
The Liqui Moly 5W-40 is the best oil for the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee. You may have second thoughts seeing its handsome price, but its handsome benefits should stop you from doing so.
Features and Benefits:
- Immediate Lubrication: It is essential to have your car components sufficiently lubricated after a cold start. So, users want an engine oil that can do it efficiently and instantly. The Liqui Moly oil is the perfect choice for that. It will get the parts ready in a jiffy.
- Improved Fuel Economy: The oil has a low viscosity rate. So you will get the advantage of higher fuel economy resulting from better flow. Also, it is suitable for a winter setup. If you live in cold areas, you should switch your engine oil to Liqui Moly.
- Compatibility: The brand manufactured the fully energy-conserving and synthetic motor oil to serve the latest concepts of both diesel- and gas-run engines. Besides, it is compatible with intercooling, turbocharging, multi-valve arrangements, supercharging, and other facilities.
- Value For Money: Although the oil price is moderately higher than others, customers hardly raise the point because of its value addition. While bringing a lot for your vehicle, it extends its quality and contributes to its performance. Investing in this one will be more worth it than wasting your money on cheap ones.
- Adequate lubrication for all components
- Suitable for cold weather
- Extension of oil change intervals
- Higher quality
- Flexibility with quantity options
5. Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil
The last oil on my list is for the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pennzoil guarantees that its 100% natural oil can serve you for at least 500k miles or 15 years, making it through a unique gas-to-liquid process. Let’s get to the rest of it.
Features and Benefits:
- High-Performing: Pennzoil Platinum Oil is an excellent performer in extreme weather conditions, capable of delivering a quicker low-temperature flow and protecting in the scorching heat.
- Squeaky Clean Pistons: Your car engine has to be without deposits to give its highest performance. Pennzoil oil makes sure of that by keeping the pistons cleaner than most do, surpassing the required industry standards. That, again, results in the protection of your motor against wear.
- Unparalleled Engine Protection: Every motor oil is supposed to protect your engine. That is its fundamental duty. However, it varies among the user’s purposes. You cannot use the same oil for getting home and running at Daytona.
But maybe you can, with the Pennzoil oil, because it is that much dependable. The company emphasized it most so that the oil can safeguard your engine anytime and anywhere. In fact, it is so good at its job that it improves your fuel economy by giving you an extra 550 miles of driving per year. Now that is one aspect where you should not compare it to other oils.
- Reliable for any purpose
- Capable of performing in adverse weather conditions
- Saves fuel economy worth an average of 550 miles per year
- Safeguarding against deposits and wear
- Higher engine protection than others
- The container has poor making.
How To Buy The Best Oil For Jeep Grand Cherokee?
The primary purpose of engine oils is to keep the engine lubricated and ensure efficient functionality from the gears while preserving the components’ integrity.
Additionally, the oil, limiting fiction, will prevent corrosion, help with heat dissipation, and guarantee proper sealing. You can get it in 5-liter cans. Now, glance at the various criteria before buying oil for your Jeep Grand Cherokee.
You will see the specifications on the oil canister’s back, for example, VW 500, ACEA CA – C4, etc. It is a must to check them out and see their compatibility with your car. There are specific oils for specific models of a brand. So, even if you match the brand with the wrong model, it will be no good.
Carefully read your Jeep Cherokee’s instructions to learn which oil can support it most. Remember that the wrong one can deter your engine from performing at its best.
The viscosity grade of an engine oil impacts its fuel efficiency. Low-viscous oil is fuel-saving due to less engine friction.
However, there is a catch. A low viscosity rate causes an engine to exhaust faster with higher maintenance than a high viscosity rate. Therefore, figure out your priority and choose your engine oil accordingly.
High-mileage engine oil is available in various viscosity grades for second-hand and older cars.
A Jeep Grand Cherokee, equipped with a used and old engine, probably has loose cylinders and blocks with more gaps between them, unlike a new one.
That makes highly viscous engine oil preferable, as it can lubricate the components better to decrease the further occurrence of wear and extend the engine’s service life.
Weather Or Temperature
There are 2 rates of multi-grade oil, indicating the oil viscosity in high and low-temperature ranges.
The 1st Number (The W Rate)
You will see the W rate before you see the letter, standing for Winter. It is about the oil’s cold viscosity. It is the thickness of your engine oil in 2 situations. The first is when you cold start the engine. The second is before fuel combustion and the engine block warm-up.
For instance, the required oil type of the 5W 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a higher viscosity than that of the 0W 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It means the 0W has a better flow than the 5W during winter. So it lubricates the parts more efficiently and clings tightly to them.
The 2nd Number
The 2nd or single number is about the oil viscosity during its usual functioning temperature. It also includes your engine when it is already warm.
At that point, your engine demands highly viscous oil for more lubrication. So, if you reside and run your vehicle in places with hot climates, a 5W-30 is a better option than a 5W-20.
What Kind Of Oil Do Jeep Grand Cherokees Accept?
The main 3 kinds of oils Jeep Grand Cherokees accept are conventional, full synthetic, and high-mileage. I will briefly introduce them below.
Companies produce mineral or conventional oil from refined crude oil, meant for simply designed cars and drivers using them for usual purposes.
It is the least expensive of all oils but thins out fast in high-temperature conditions and thickens in low-temperature conditions. Using it for your vehicle will raise maintenance costs because of its vulnerability to deposit and sludge formation.
Your Jeep Grand Cherokee will demand full synthetic motor oil if you drive it on bumpy terrains for heavy-duty activities like hauling. It is preferable for lubricating quickly, removing impurities, resisting heat, preventing sludge buildup, etc. It can also withstand temperature fluctuations better.
Many Jeep Grand Cherokee models require full synthetic oil because it improves fuel efficiency and increases horsepower to facilitate your off-roading adventures with more security.
The name is self-explanatory. You use it for a high-mileage car ranging from 75k to 100k. It provides additives for high engine security, wear protection, and prevention of leaks and sludge.
When Do I Need To Change The Engine Oil In My Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Only knowing and getting the best-suited motor oil will not be enough to guarantee superior performance from your Jeep Grand Cherokee engine. You must change the oil regularly to keep it clean, functional, and fuel-efficient while protecting its components from corrosion.
Whether you change the oil yourself or have a professional do it, you should check when you need to do it by remembering the following:
Car manufacturers provide recommended oil change schedules based on their car’s mileage. It typically depends on the vehicle model’s requirement of oil type. For example, you have to use conventional oil for the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and change its oil between every 3k to 5k miles of driving. On the contrary, the frequency remains between every 7.5k to 10k miles for models requiring synthetic oil.
Oil Change Stickers
Auto shops and mechanics often place a sticker for an oil change to remind you of the upcoming schedule with the date, mileage, or both. The sticker is usually on the windshield. It is the fastest way of knowing when your vehicle needs an oil change.
Every Grand Cherokee comes with several indicator lights. The latest models have a reminder light for oil changes, too. When your vehicle reaches a specific mileage, the light will switch on automatically as a reminder to change the oil.
However, it is up to the mechanic to reset it manually after changing the oil every time. So, you must remember to check the time and see if it is right or if your mechanic forgot to fix it. Do it by matching it with the sticker or your car’s mileage.
Noise From Engine
When the motor oil level is low or not viscous anymore, it will cause friction to make knocking or tapping sounds. You should do a dipstick engine oil test to understand whether it needs more oil or an oil change.
To do that, turn your engine off and open the Cherokee hood to look for its dipstick. Pulling it out, wipe away the additional oil. Then place it back in its position carefully and start pushing it gently. Now take it out to see the oil quality and level.
If the oil looks too dark or blackish, it indicates the need for an oil change. But whether you need that or not, in the case of a low oil level, you must add more without exceeding the oil capacity of your 2019, 2018, 2006, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, or 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Now, how do you understand the oil quantity is too short? Look at the dipstick. It has markings for safe, low, and full levels.
Regardless of your Cherokee engine and its oil type requirement, your car can run fine on smooth and flat ground with only a quart of oil. However, that could already cause damage to your engine components. So you should refill the used-up amount soon.
How To Change The Engine Oil In Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Frequently Asked Questions About Engine Oil
Does synthetic motor oil enhance engine performance?
Yes. Synthetic oil provides more lubrication and engine protection than conventional oil. Created from high-quality base oils, they are more refined and do their tasks more effectively.
Which oil type is more fuel-efficient?
Synthetic oil is more fuel-efficient. It has a lower viscosity with better cold flows, which does not compromise wear protection. Both factors work for improved fuel economy.
Should I prefer thicker oil to thinner oil?
No. It is a general misconception. But the oil should have a balance for the purpose. Thicker or highly viscous oil does not necessarily mean it will generate better output. Excessive thickness can often raise heat generation and energy consumption, along with poor lubrication.
How often should I change my oil filter?
You should change it after every 15k miles or 2 oil changes.
Does synthetic oil require a special filter?
No. The oil manufacturers only say that you should go for a high-quality oil filter so that it pulls off a good job of filtering pollutants.
There is no specific verdict about the 5 best oils for your Jeep Grand Cherokee because each model requires a different category of oil. But here is the takeaway for you.
A Jeep Grand Cherokee, like any vehicle, is your investment. So you should be sincere about its proper upkeep. As motor oil is critical for its performance, you must get only the oil its manufacturer recommends. At the same time, remember its oil change routine and refills.
A piece of advice: Replacing your oil filter during each oil change is a smart way to advance your engine protection. If you have already got your way around the maintenance activities, and your Grand Cherokee is no longer on warranty, you can buy oil change accessories or a kit to do stuff yourself.