When you think of the fundamental stuff your 4.0 Jeep Cherokee needs to stay on the form, spark plugs will not cross your mind. But then you would be in the wrong. The thing is, your Jeep would never run without spark plugs.
Everything remaining functional will not do any good if something is wrong with the plugs. So, you should monitor your Jeep’s ignition time carefully. If it takes longer to start, you should look into your spark plugs. They could be out, in which case you would need to replace them.
That is the target of today’s review article. It will bring you the best spark plugs for your 4.0 Jeep Cherokee. When you learn about their functions, price, and pros and cons, finding a suitable replacement will be much easier.
Top 5 Best Spark Plugs For 4.0 Jeep Cherokee Review
1. Bosch Spark Plugs
The company has been on the market for over a century. And when it can survive the increasing competition for that long a time, you know you can rely on its products even if you have never bought them. In the case of Bosch, that is indeed a dependable assumption.
Features and Benefits:
- Materials: Bosch manufactures its spark plugs with chromium-plated iridium electrodes. If you do some market research, you will find that it is the most durable material for spark plugs. It is basically the signature characteristic of the Bosch plugs. They serve you so long that you will even forget about replacing them. On top of that, they will increase the lifespan of your Jeep engine by 400%. Rest assured, the patented double-electrode technology and high-quality materials will deliver excellent performance for the plugs.
- Better Combustion And Ignitability: The plugs have advanced thermal transfer between the engine cylinder and electrodes, owing to their copper core. So the combustion and ignitability will be remarkably better, causing more power and higher fuel economy. Also, there will be no flashovers from the ribbed insulator. That will work to your advantage.
- Availability: Bosch is a frontrunner in the industry, selling its products around the globe. But if you are not local, you have to go through the international items beforehand, as they have different terms and conditions. The fitting, labeling, and instructions will also vary. While availability will not be an issue, you should be aware of the differences prior to your purchase.
- Corrosion-Resistant: A unique feature of the spark plugs highlights their central electrode. The brand made it with copper and coated it with an alloy of nickel and chromium. It protects the surface from corrosion and makes it resistant to high temperatures while extending its service life.
- Quality materials and satisfying performance
- Exceptionally durable
- High availability
- Higher power and more fuel economy
- Resistance to corrosion and high temperatures
- Capable of increasing the lifespan of an engine
- Although the delivery is fast, some customers complained about getting faulty or used products.
- High price
2. NGK Spark Plugs
Starting its journey in the 1940s in the industry, NGK focuses on three principles in its products – quality, product innovation, and customer service. You will find all of their presence in its spark plugs.
Features and Benefits:
- Materials: Often used as a direct upgrade to standard plugs or as original equipment, NGK V-power spark plugs combine the nickel alloy electrode materials of a standard spark plug with a distinctive V-group center electrode and concave ground electrode shape.
- Firing End Design: The special firing end design guides the spark to occur between the sharper outside edges between the outer and central electrodes to improve the performance and ignitability of the plugs.
- Insulation Nose: The distinctive part of the plugs are their long insulation nose. You will marvel at the product innovation of NGK. The insulator prevents misfiring, idling, and fouling. Moreover, there are corrugated ribs to avoid flashovers.
- Rust-Resistant: A lot of decent spark plugs expire prematurely because of their vulnerability to corrosion. But NGK made sure that did not happen with its plugs. The metal coating will protect them against rust, leaving rust at no chance.
- Affordable: If you checked the Bosch plugs and were disappointed at their price tag, NGK will brighten you up. The products have similar functions and quality at a much more affordable price.
- Superior Conductivity: Every set of NGK spark plugs comes with a copper core to facilitate their conductivity and heat dissipation. I did not think this one would have it at such a price. But NGK gave me a pleasant surprise.
- Improved materials with a special mechanism
- Longer insulation nose to allow no misfiring, fouling, and flashovers
- A metal coating for corrosion prevention
- Better heat dissipation and conductivity
- Budget-friendly and durable
- Made of ceramic, the insulator may fracture.
3. Champion Spark Plugs
The Spark Plugs from Champion are the best spark plugs for your Jeep 4.0 Cherokee in many ways. Among them, the most popular ones are the voltage-stabilizing impact and extraordinary wear properties. Engine manufacturers across the world have received them warmly as their chosen technology.
Features and Benefits:
- Materials: Built with heat-active alloys that reach functioning temperature quickly and keep them stable under fluctuating engine loads, the spark plugs will deliver a steady centered spark irrespective of ignition. That will generate the best engine output for users.
- Excellent Performance: Champion plugs spotlight highly refined center and ground electrodes. The first is iridium, and the other is laser-locked, V-trimmed, and platinum. They all play their roles in ensuring a long and erosion-free service life, promising you to cover around 12k miles without a snag. Considering their price, it is a bet you do not want to leave, especially if you have an old 4.0 Jeep Cherokee.
- Compatible: I mentioned earlier product differences in terms and conditions that you should check before purchasing. Champion spared you that by designing its plugs to meet all the ISO and SAE standards despite charging a modest price. None of them are prone to corrosion, meaning you could rely on them for as long as they serve you.
- Resistant To Corrosion: The brand brags about the impressive efficiency rating of its plugs, and they do so deservingly. It used a protected and heavy-duty ultra seal in the shells of the spark plugs, furnishing it with extra resistance capability.
- Flexible: Here is what makes the Champion plugs stand out from their other functions. It is how the brand thought of getting the best use of it by facilitating them to adjust with both older and newer Jeep models. As some of you may know, the older versions run on copper plugs only, while the latest ones require iridium plugs. But Champion has spark plugs in both copper and iridium so that you can choose them accordingly for your 4.0 engines or 3.6 and 3.2 engines.
- Higher service life
- Sturdy materials
- Wear-resistant properties
- Low ignition voltage
- Affordable price
- Better compatibility and flexibility
- Not easy to install
4. Autolite Spark Plugs
Designed and made in the USA, the Autolite Iridium XP Spark Plug promotes well-engineered wire programs to render increased ignitability and efficiency in performance.
Features and Benefits:
- Materials: The electrode of the plug is manufactured with platinum tips, copper, and high nickel alloy. It fulfills all the design requirements and purposes of the OEM. You will not find any noticeable differences between this spark plug and the standard one.
- Reduced Gap Erosion And Higher Efficiency: The plug enables platinum-to-platinum shooting to decrease gap erosion. Additionally, it gives no way for misfires, translating into steady and effective output in the long run. It is arguably the best choice for DIS engines.
- Improved Ignition: Equipped with a technologically advanced design featuring an iridium-enriched 0.6mm wire and a patented platinum side wire system, the plug performs dependably to deliver improved ignition expertly.
- Better Fuel Economy And Wear Resistance: The plug will optimize your Jeep engine for maximum efficiency, operating it with less fuel than previously needed. Also, the V-trimmed technology will make sure it keeps doing its job for a long time without giving you any trouble.
- Guarantee: That is something I did not find in the other products. So it came unexpected that the spark plug has a huge guarantee period of 7 years. So, if you are dissatisfied with the product, you can give it back and ask Autolite to refund you. I’d give the item a bonus star for giving me this calmness of mind.
- Optimized engine performance
- Less fuel consumption
- Reliable patented design and technology
- Zero gap erosion
- Quality materials
- A seven-year guarantee period
- Tough to gap
5. E3 Spark Plugs
If you are looking for a plug to work for various domestic needs, and none of the others have matched your demands, I hope today’s final product will. It has some distinctive characteristics that are definitely worth your consideration.
Features and Benefits:
- Unique Design: The ground electrode of the plugs comes attached to a three-legged shell to contribute to cylinder turbulence and standard heat transfer. Its cutting-edge technology empowers your Jeep with smoother and swifter acceleration. You will also enjoy lower fuel consumption and lower emission advantages over time.
- Durable: E3 designed the plugs to adjust with performance modifications. So it introduced a Yttrium-enriched alloy to decrease side wire temperatures by as much as 8% to lessen pre-ignition.
- Additional Extension: The E3 plug has an extra skirt to extend the access under the threads. Thus, it enables your car to start faster with more power.
- Edge-To-Edge Spark Direction: The Diamond Fire has an open nature that discharges air gaps to cause edge-to-edge spark direction, allowing for a fresh air/fuel charge in addition to the area of sparks. The design also comes in handy to expose the flame to the piston more efficiently than the traditional ones.
- Warranty: There is a 5-year (100k-mile) warranty attached to the spark plugs. In case it gives you any trouble or malfunctions for some reason, you can contact the brand to have it solved.
- An exceptional design promoting a three-legged shell
- Lower fuel consumption and lower emissions
- Lessened pre-ignition
- Additional skirt for faster starts
- A 5-year warranty
- People preferring iridium may not find it very useful.
How To Buy The Best Spark Plugs For 4.0 Jeep Cherokee
You cannot just dash to the market to buy spark plugs when your car fails to start. Not every plug will suit your jeep model. So, you have to understand what you are looking for before going to look for it. The buyer’s guide will direct you toward that.
There are three types of materials for spark plugs: copper, platinum, and iridium. Copper plugs are the least pricey ones that are typically suitable for older Jeep models. Their key advantage comes from their efficiency at energy conduction with little resistance. They are the best picks for engines running on natural gas. However, they will not last long.
Platinum pugs have single-platinum and double-platinum versions. They are resilient and made to survive intensely cold temperatures while using less fuel than others. On the downside, users pointed out that they tend to overheat fast.
The best spark plugs for the latest vehicle models are the iridium ones. They are long-lasting and fuel-efficient on account of the reduced voltage requirement to ignite the engine. Besides, if you install iridium plugs, you should use the same ones to replace them without giving copper or platinum a thought. They are the costliest but also generate the highest value for money.
The electrode gap varies from one spark plug to another. The gap, measured in inches or millimeters, can ascertain the magnitude of the spark. That gives you an idea about its capability of igniting the air-fuel combo.
There are plugs with narrow gaps or wide gaps. The first one fires on all cycles, which gets dirty faster than others and requires regular maintenance. The latter will not fire on each cycle. Plus, they will burn clean. But they may often cause misfires.
If you do not know about the measurement of the gap, you can find it in the user manual of your Jeep.
Heat rating is another characteristic to think of before proceeding with the spark plug purchase. Some plugs function better under specific temperature ranges. If you do not see that first, you may end up buying the wrong plugs for your Jeep Cherokee.
The low-rating ones are for light-duty vehicles, which get hot pretty fast. On the contrary, cold or high-rating plugs take longer to overheat, making the better choice if you have a performance Jeep.
When To Consider Replacing My Spark Plugs?
Ideally, you can use your spark plugs until they run out of their lifespan. But sometimes there may show up some signs to tell you that you have to replace them sooner than you thought. That usually occurs when the plugs get too old or dirty. If you delay taking care of them immediately, the problem will get bigger soon by damaging your engine.
Misfires Of Engine
You will always notice if your engine begins to misfire. When you do, do not keep it unattended. It is an alarming sign of something going wrong with the spark plugs.
According to many drivers, when the vehicle does not start smoothly, it is because of the battery. But sometimes the plugs can be responsible for it, too. You can detect the problem by looking at them. If they do not emit sparks, it will prolong the starting time for your Jeep.
Rough Idling Of Engine
When unusual vibrations and harsh noise come from the engine, it means your spark plugs are asking you for replacement. Most of the time, it happens due to worn-out or nasty plugs. You should have them checked and replaced before some undesirable consequences follow.
Higher Fuel Consumption
Yes. Fresh and functional spark plugs save fuel consumption, but when they are exhausted, they do the opposite. Additionally, experienced users say that damaged plugs can increase your regular fuel consumption by up to 30%. If you notice significant changes in your fuel usage, hurry up and replace your spark plugs.
FAQs About Jeep Cherokee Spark Plug
Can I clean my spark plugs instead of replacing them?
Yes, you can clean your spark plugs, but that will not produce the desired results. A cleaned spark plug will not function as efficiently as a new one. You cannot make its edges sharp enough, no matter how well you clean it. And that is the safest for electricity discharges. That is why experts recommend replacement.
Which spark plugs are the most durable?
Iridium spark plays are the best in terms of durability. You can expect them to work for a minimum of 60k miles, varying from 80k to 120k miles on your vehicle model.
Can I fix all my spark plugs together?
You can if none of them are broken. Some of them may continue to have problems, in which case, you have to figure out the cause. Generally, the plugs wear out unvaryingly.
Is it worth investing in a high-end spark plug?
Why not? It is an excellent choice for users looking for resilient and lasting spark plugs. It will lessen your cost and time of replacing it. Besides, it is ideal for a high-performance vehicle that will expose its spark plugs to adverse conditions.
How many hours do iridium spark plugs last?
On average, iridium spark plugs last around 3000 to 4000 engine uptime hours. That is also subject to the quality of the gas.
Will a new spark plug magnify horsepower?
No. It will not magnify horsepower, but it will optimize the combustion level. That means your vehicle will run with better acceleration control and lower fuel consumption.
What are the vehicle specifics needed to find the appropriate spark plugs?
Here goes a list of the vehicle specifics that you will need:
- The year, model, and make
- The engine type and the cylinder number
- The engine dimensions
- Automatic or manual transmission
- The fuel type
- Differences between the plugs
- The part number in the engine
How to Change Spark Plugs – Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
Engines these days are fuel-efficient and lean-burning. So spark plugs should meet current requirements to fit them. Among the reviews of the best 5 spark plugs for the 4.0 Jeep Cherokee, the Bosch Spark Plug stands out to fulfill all the criteria with its amazing reliability, longevity, and ignitability.
If you think you do not need an iridium one, and something less expensive with a higher service life would serve you better, you want the Champion for that. Apart from the amazing service and extended product life, the brand will offer you a 7-year guarantee as well.
Whatever plug you select in the end, remember to match your vehicle specifics before purchasing it. Best of luck!